Are you a lover of seafood specialties? So you probably love summer days when you can feast on grilled fish. Why not, because fish is an extremely healthy food, you just have to know how to prepare it correctly. Although cooking fish is a fun task, it still causes headaches for many people. Therefore, in today’s article we will describe everything you need to know about cooking fish.
Fish have a different meat structure than land animals. Their muscle tissue is thus distributed in thin layers. The plates go from bone to skin and are connected to a special connective tissue. What happens during cooking? The muscle fibers are shrink the fabric that connects the fibers, however it softens, so the meat decomposes. It is important to know that we must remove the fish from the grill as soon as the connective tissue softens and before it collapses. In the latter case, the fish will be dry, since the fabric also releases water.
When doing so, it is good to know that of course you have to grill fish choose the right candidates. All fish are not far from being grilled. That’s how we need fish firmer fleshwhich will not collapse right away. Choose from seabass, gilthead seabream, trout, tuna or salmon.
We have already mentioned that grilled fish is an extremely healthy delicacy, a thousand times more so than čevapčiči, pleskavice and other similar grilled delicacies. Namely, when caught in the heat, they cook on their own inside, because they contain a lot of water.
Grilled fish – preparations
Preparing grilled fish does not require I do not know some exotic preparations. let’s use them the spices that grow along the coast. So you can reach bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, mint, sage or dill. Grilled fish will be much better if you baste it with quality before cooking. olive oil.
What should I do first? fish of course we clean first, cutting them from the abdomen to the head. Carefully remove the gills and parts of the intestines. Be especially careful not to damage the gallbladder, as leaking bile will spoil the taste of the meat. Do not forget also clean the scales, you can use an ordinary kitchen knife for this, but there is also a special knife for such cleaning. We must also draw your attention to the fact that when cleaning the scales will fly all around, so it may be better to do this task outside, preferably by the sea or the river.
This is followed by grilling for the grilled fish
While it’s easier to just turn the knob on a gas or electric grill, any serious grill enthusiast will resolutely shake their heads. you are a fish they deserve a real barbecue with wood and charcoal, but you have to know how to prepare it well.
First of all, it is necessary to prepare grilled fish chimney. Remove all flammable objects around the area where you will be cooking. Then it all depends on whether you’re cooking in the fireplace, on a high-legged metal grill, or even on the floor. You should also decide whether to cook over wood embers or over charcoal.
What cookware do you need?
You should definitely not forget metal grid. Metal plates are less suitable. You can also get grilled fish two-part special nets, which are open, then place a fish of the appropriate size in the net. This way you can really flip the fish.
Always place wire grates or nets on the grill a little before you start cooking to heat them properly. Of course you can grill the fish also on skewersfor this purpose we recommend long metal rods, but they can also be made of wood.
When is grilled fish just cooked?
There is a simple trick for this, but unfortunately a lot of people don’t know it yet. Cut very carefully with a small knife in the neck under the head of the fish. This is where most of the meat is. If the fish is cooked on this part, then undoubtedly the rest is also cooked.
Recipe: Grilled Trout with Herbs
- 4 trout
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 lemon
- white peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 sprigs of tarragon
- 4 sprigs of parsley
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of dried Provencal herbs
- Prepare the grill, heat it up and heat the charcoal properly.
- Clean the fish, wash it under running cold water and pat it dry. Sprinkle them inside and out with salt and freshly ground white pepper.
- Wash the lemon under hot water, dry it and cut it into thinner slices.
- Garnish each fish with a sprig of tarragon and parsley, a bay leaf and a sliced lemon.
- The remaining bay leaves are finely crushed and shaken with Provencal herbs in oil. Peel a squash, grate it and squeeze out the oil.
- Coat the fish with fragrant oil and place it in a fish net or on a greased grill. Cook them on each side for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Serve with herb butter.
Recipe: grilled fish
- 1 larger or medium savory fish
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- salt to taste
- Clean the fish, then salt it and let it drain on a tray.
- If we are skilled, we can immediately cook them on a rack above the grill. However, since baked fish like to fall apart, it is best to put them between two fillets. Alternatively, wrap them in foil and place them on hot ashes with a few embers. However, they can be attached to sticks planted in the ground around the fire. Connect the fish with a thin wire or wrap it with foil.
- Turn them several times during cooking.
- Pour the melted butter over the baked fish and drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with parsley.
Prepared by: Monica M.
Click on the image to see the full image.