It is a plant to which we can be grateful for many things: it continues to offer us something. We all know how to choose the first free spring salad and in addition to this very healthy spring salad. Connoisseurs know how to use the root, herbalists use its reserves of active ingredients. However, one of the most pleasant, even poetic ways to use this wonderful plant is in syrup. These days, millions of warm, brilliant yellow flowers open and offer us their essence for a sweet concoction that will bring sunshine to the table on even the darkest winter days.
Over the years we have tried many recipes to make this syrup in OK and here is our selection of the best, according to the recipe Mirjam Grilc: Dandelion flowers can be strong in color but mild in taste. Therefore, we recommend the addition of ginger and large amounts of citrus – they will add a new, deeper dimension to the sweets.
Ginger dandelion syrup
According to the recipe of Mirjam Grilc. The best for us!
- 6 oranges
- 4 lemons
- for 10 handfuls of dandelion flowers
- ginger root
- quarter palm tall
- 1.25 kg crystal sugar
- 1 liter of water
1. Pour water into a large saucepan, add the dandelion flowers and start cooking over low heat.
2. Cut the oranges and lemons and squeeze, pour the juice over the dandelion.
3. Peel a squash, grate it and cut it into small pieces. We measure the size of the root by ourselves, according to the taste of the ginger. Simmer for 30 minutes, then strain through cheesecloth and squeeze the flowers well.
4. Return the juice to the pan, add the sugar and cook until completely melted. This recipe is designed with less water and a quick process, otherwise the flowers could be soaked for two days and the juice reduced for a few hours.
5. While still hot, pour into bottles or jars; if stored, sterilized, if the syrup is to be used immediately, store it in the refrigerator.
Tip: The flowers are harvested in dry weather; if we have time, we try to remove as many green parts of the flower as possible – they burn. The more the flowers are cleaned, the “clearer” the taste will be.
We also recommend: Chez Jarm in Kropa: Soups from the inn of our and your youth
Cover photo: Madeleine_Steinbach / Getty Images