Whether you prefer grilling meat, vegetables or fish, plated potato salad is the best companion. The versatility of this rather neutral appendage is one of its qualities that we always welcome. Nevertheless, we do not want to compromise on taste. Although we use simple ingredients, we look for rich flavors and just the right level of acid intensity, saltiness, even spiciness. This time we learned how to achieve it thanks to the chef and author on the Food52 portal – Kristen Miglore, they mixed their knowledge into a dish that will also be very popular in the Slovenian environment.
The classic recipe for potato salad dates back to the beginning of the 19th century, and modern times, of course, call for continuous updating. First of all, let’s remember which potato will go best in a salad: it is a harder or waxy potato, which is characterized by a thin skin, somewhat reminiscent of paper. So he’s a guy that’s not so dull and doesn’t crumble too much while cooking.
It is recommended to cook the tubers in such salty water that it is already a little cloudy. This way the potatoes will really develop the right taste, the neutral aroma will come to the right expression in the salad. Cut it into quarters, always start cooking it in cold water. Meanwhile, cut the shallots and soak them in apple cider vinegar and salt well.
Poached eggs instead of mayonnaise
The next step? Drain the boiled potatoes and let them cool, then peel them. Pour over the vinegar in which the shallots have been soaked. Add the olive oil, salt and pepper and mix well to blend the flavors. Add the shallots, then garnish with Greek yogurt, a bunch of chopped parsley, capers and mix. Now we have before us the most important step that will replace even the mayonnaise that we add to salads otherwise.
Poached eggs! If you don’t know how to approach them, check them out here. Don’t be modest in quantity, we recommend up to 4 per kilogram of potatoes. Once the salad is tossed, place them on top, then toss well with a salad fork to combine the creamy yolk with the other ingredients . Add the freshly chopped tarragon and chives and serve. Thanks for the recipe later!
For 8 people.
- bp. 2 kg potatoes cut into wedges
- 4 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 400g whole yoghurt
- 1 cup capers
- 1 bunch parsley, coarsely chopped
- 8 large eggs
- salt, pepper, a bunch of tarragon and dill, mustard seeds
1. Put the potato wedges in a saucepan, pour cold water over them and add good salt and cook the potatoes.
2. Pour the chopped shallots with vinegar, salt well and leave to cool.
3. Drain the boiled potatoes and cool slightly. Then peel it and shake it in a bowl in which we will finish the salad.
4. Pour it with the vinegar in which the shallots were, salt, pepper, add oil and mix.
5. Enrich everything with Greek yogurt, capers and a bunch of chopped parsley and shallots. Mix well, you can just with your hands.
6. Poach the eggs, add them to the potatoes and toss with a salad fork to spread the yolk and combine with all the textures and flavors.
7. Salad can be additionally seasoned with dill, tarragon and mustard seeds.
Read more: Simplified recipe for the lemon trifle, official dessert of the Jubilee of Elizabeth II. (go win your heart)
Photo: Andrey Zhuravlev/Getty Images